Saturday, October 23, 2010

Lots of Posts rolled into 1

I know that the last time I blogged, I said I was going to work on posting once a week!  I realize I'm a few weeks behind.  But, to be fair, there's be A LOT going on around here! 

So...this post you're going to get 4 posts out of one!  YAY!!!!


Post #1

On October 6th, 2010 my Grandma Whetsel went to be with Grandpa in the great big Antique Mall in the sky (written as Stephanie Plum would say it)!

Here are a few of the things I cherish, about Grandma:

~ Grandma and Grandpa used to sell antiques, specifically Depression glass!  When each of the Grand-daughters (and we are GRAND) turned 11 or 12 years old, Grandma had us pick a pattern of Depression glass.  Every year from then on, for our Birthday and for Christmas, we would receive a piece of our Depression glass as a gift.  I chose "American Sweetheart." 

*Side note: Chris and I didn't register for fine china, because my plan was for my 'American Sweetheart' to be my fine china.

I tried to take a picture of some of my pieces on the shelf, but it didn't turn out well, and it was hard to see the pattern...here's a link that has some nice pictures of what my pattern looks like.
http://pottery-glass.shop.ebay.com/American-Sweetheart-/34127/i.html

~ Grandma and Grandpa went to Florida every year for the winter.  She would bring us back, gallons of sand from the beach.  We would play on the back patio for hours, making (what we called) Kokamonio, out of the sand and berries from a nearby tree.  She would come outside and have Kokamonio pie, Kokamonio stew, Kokamonio tea, Kokamonio this or that!

~ She used to make us hot tea and bring it down to the basement, with iced cookies.

~ She ate Peanut butter and mustard sandwiches.

~ She would read us James Witcomb Riley poems, and when we finished the book, she took us to Greenfield to show us his childhood home.

~ She willingly handed over the scissors, when Heather and Brigette made me come upstairs to ask for them...so they could cut the Barbie's hair!  ;0)

~ She used to spend the night with me at the hospital, and she would tell me stories about her childhood, and her Mom's childhood. 

~ She used to sing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning!"

At the gravesite, my Brother-in-law, Shawn (he officiated) asked me to read a verse that describes Grandma perfectly.

Proverbs 31: 10-31
A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.
She considers a field and buys it; out of her earning she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at nights.
In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them, and suppllies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


I miss you Grandma...and Oh what a beautiful morning it was indeed!


Post #2

October 9, 2010...Chris and I celebrated 6 years of marriage!

We had planned to go to Chicago for our Anniversary this year, but instead, we got to celebrate Grandma's life this morning.

We didn't buy cards...

We didn't buy each other gifts...

But we were together...and that, is more precious to me than anything else!


Chris took me out for dinner at Matteo's, on the square in Noblesville.

My husband is not an Italian food fan (per se), so the fact that he chose an italian restaurant surprised me.  But we had a nice time together!

I love him more now, than I did the day I married him!





Post #3

I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Eigen, my Pulmonologist, on October 13th.


Of course, I did Pulmonary Function Tests...



wait for it...




wait for it...



My lung functions went up 18%!!!!!!!  YAYER!

Now, if you recall, I went on home IV, not because I needed/had to, but because I wanted a tune up (since it had been so long), and I was hoping it might bump the lungs upward!

Good golly did it!

So, we decided to remove the PICC line...on that Friday, October 15th.

Here's my arm the morning of the 15th:



Here's my arm at about 6:00pm that evening (about 30-45min after it was pulled):



I'M FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Post #4

October 16, 2010...Chris and I decided to go to the Pumpkin Patch!

What's more fun than going to the Pumpkin Patch just the two of us?????


Obviously, the answer is to take Heather, Killian and Keegan along with us!

We went to Stoney Creek Farms...and good gracious, this place has changed since we used to come here in Elementary school.  It's HUGE!!!

They have all kinds of fun games and activities to participate in...and it was a gorgeous day to try it all out (well, most of it anyway)!

Chris, Killian, Keegan and I did the Duck races...I, being the lover of ducks that I am, of course won the game!  *No pictures of this, as I was too busy WINNING!!  hahaha


Killian rode the Pedal cars



Keegan...well, he was Keegan



They jumped and slid on the jumping pillow


Crazy Boys...










Coming Soon...

Halloween Decorations at the Elliott house ;0)

1 comment: